Here is the link to the contest page, which has more information on the topics:
Here are the videos from last year:
As a part of our sketchnote unit, students watched videos from the PBS World Explorers Videos series and then selected one video to illustrate by creating a digital sketchnote. The sketchnote strategy is an excellent way to help students focus on, process, and remember content while watching media. Students created their sketchnotes using iPads while watching the video on computers in the computer lab (see photos above), but this could just as easily be done with the video playing for the entire class using a projector. Students used a variety of apps including:
- Flipink (paid)
- SketchbookX (free)
- Tayasui Sketches (free/in app purchases)
- Paper53 (free)
- Note: any drawing app could be used, as well as doing it with paper, pencil, markers, etc.
Here are the sketchnotes that the students created:
All of the students are blogging their media projects this year using Kidblog. Students have posted their sketchnotes and their reflections on this unit here: https://kidblog.org/class/scs-ms-multimedia-tech16/posts
Here is the link to the PBS World Explorers Collection Videos. These colorful short videos are perfect to use with the sketchnote strategy.
We used my free iTunesU course Digital Sketchnotes for Visualizing Learning to help the students learn about what sketchnotes are and how to create them using drawing apps.You can also find more information about sketchnotes at my resource page:
We will be using blogging and commenting to set goals and to evaluate and reflect upon our work. Remember when blogging or commenting to only use your first name and don’t include personal information. Please use complete sentences, good spelling, and correct grammar and to show yourself off in a positive intelligent way!
Leave a comment of at least 3 sentences telling about the following:
- What would you like to learn how to do (or improve) using technology during this class?
- What are some of your technology skills that you feel you already are good at doing (your strengths)?
- What are some of the ways that you use technology for fun?
- What kinds of devices do you own or have available for use in your family (such as a smartphone, iPod, iPad or other tablet, digital camera, or ???)
In case you are interested, here is the link where I made the Star Wars trailer: http://www.starwordz.com/starwordz/
Students, sadly, our class is drawing to an end. Thanks for all your hard work!
Please leave a comment of at least 3 sentences to give me some feedback on the class and also to reflect on your work during the quarter. You may look back at some of the blog posts to refresh your memory, just do not get distracted by them.
- What new things did you learn from this class?
- What was your favorite project or activity?
- What project or activity did you NOT like? Please explain why and give any ideas to make it better.
- Which project that you made were you proudest of and why?
- What is something you could have improved in this class?
- Any other suggestions or ideas for MIss Bosch to make the class better?
Over the past 2 weeks the sixth graders have been building Minecraft tutorials that can be used by the 3rd graders when they do their animal habitat project in Minecraft. The tutorials were built using screenshots from Minecraft and the Explain Everything app. When I surveyed the students at the end of class today, this project was by far their favorite! A great lesson to help student think logically and clearly to break down and explain a process in steps.
Teacher note: Explain Everything is one of those essential apps for education that can be used in multiple ways. Currently it is $3.99 on the US iTunes store.
Students, you did an outstanding job on your PowerPoint presentations! I enjoyed looking at them and hearing your presentations. Please leave a 3 sentence comment reflecting on what you learned, evaluating yourself, and giving me any suggestions for the project in the future.
- What new skills did you learn about creating a PowerPoint?
- What did you learn about ways to design a good and a bad looking presentation?
- How did you feel about giving your presentation in front of the class?
- What things would you try to improve next time you make and give a presentation?
- Do you have any suggestions how the teacher could improve this project for next time?
Thank you for your comment. It is a part of your daily participation grade.
This week the six graders begin building Minecraft tutorials using screenshots from Minecraft and the Explain Everything app. This project is a highly motivating way of helping students think through sequence and improve their direction writing skills. The tutorials will be used by the third-grade students for a project that they do in class.